[Tugindia] pdfrack

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.com
Wed Jan 12 07:55:19 CET 2011

On 12/01/11 10:59 AM, Asha G wrote:
> As you are based in Trivandrum, I can bring the stuff around for a
> tutorial on fixing things. That might be more useful for me than
> your fixing it and sending it to me.

That would be the right solution. I have several visitors till end of
next week (22 Jan), so can't be free without embarrassing them. You
might choose a date in the succeeding week and let me know.

> I also have many other questions - that could be cleared too. If
> you can give me a convenient date and time, I can come with my
> laptop. BTW, I did not have any problems with psfrag - so it could

psfrag is a straight forward package, it has nothing to do with the
operating system while pdfrack does something with the OS. It writes
out stand alone TeX files of each figure you have included, calls
LaTeX to create dvi, runs dvips to create eps which is then converted
into pdf format. All these are done because pdfLaTeX does not accept
eps format graphics while psfrag can work only with eps files. So
knowing a bit of how to run a shell script is needed here.

> not be a question of my lack of  knowledge of operating systems and
> the like.

Ignorance is not a crime, we're all ignorant at one point of time
about everything we know now. Patience and systematic approach are
needed when things go wrong with computers. People tend to believe
that they do correctly, but computers fail or play tricks on them.

Best regards

In a hierarchical system, the rate of pay varies
inversely with the unpleasantness and difficulty
of the task.