[Tugindia] Font problem

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Mon Dec 14 07:23:01 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:46 PM, <dr.anoopsinha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> Sorry for the partial mail... my 2 year old daughter got loose on the
> keyboard :)
>
> So, this is was I've done so far. Managed to locate the relevant fonts on
> my computer. Installed these in the computer running Corel Draw. Corel
> doesn't complain about missing fonts anymore. Malayalam is perfect. Hindi
> doesn't show up at all. English text seem to run into each other, especially
> where there are ligatures.
>
> Tried ps2pdf14 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dEmbedAllFonts=true $1.ps. Did not
> work.
>
> As to setting 8 pages on a page, I am not sure in what order to put it. In
> any case, the printing press guys insist on importing everything into Corel.
> Which would mean I'd be back to square one.
>
> As for pdfpackage, searching in google gives me results for "pdf package".
> Couldn't find the program. Duvvuri, if you could send me a link, it would be
> very helpful.
>
> I am at a loss. Alternatively, is there any method to install/use times new
> roman and arial in LaTeX? I did google for this and got this page (
> http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm ), but unfortunately, it talks
> about miktex on windows (I'm using linux: there are a couple of steps that
> seem too windows specific).
>
> By the way, I do not think the problem is isolated to the use of corel
> draw. Got similar problems trying to import the pdf into inkscape and adobe
> illustrator.
>
> Thanks for all the reponses so far, friends. But, unfortunately, I'm still
> in trouble.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr. Anoop Sinha

If you want to use truetype/opentype fonts, xelatex is the best solution.
You don't have to do anything, you dont' need any .fd
files. It produces pdf files. I have used xelatex to produce devanagari with

velthuis encoding.
The following is the text I use in the preamble:

\usepackage{ifxetex}

\RequireXeTeX

\usepackage{fontspec}

\usepackage{xunicode}

\usepackage{xltxtra}

\setmainfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=velthuis]{CDAC-GISTYogesh}

\newfontface\Bigdn[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=myvelthuis,Scale=1.4]{CDAC-GISTYogesh
Bold}

\newfontfamily\eng{Times New Roman}
The following lines are necessary for velthuis encoding:

\catcode`\~=12 % Important for characters ~o and ~n !!!
Add this line after \begin{document}

As you may have noticed, I have used Yogesh font for hindi.
I have downloaded and installed CDAT-DISTYogesh. It is a complete family
with italics and bold variants.  I had some problems installing them in
windows and using them in xetex, but I managed to get them working in linux.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about malayalam and telugu.  I am sure
there must be opentype fonts which are freely available for these languages
also.
As far as hindi goes, you don't need to do any major changes in the latex
document. You will have to delete
the \dn command from everywhere(by search and replace) and add the above
lines.

The pdfpages package is available from CTAN.  If you are using miktex,
you should be able to install it using the package manager in miktex.
You can always find out the order of pages from the publisher himself.

Here is an article  that may be useful to you:
http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb25-2/tb81kroonenberg.pdf
Best of luck,
S. Venkataraman