[Tugindia] Versioning

Alok G. Singh alokgs at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 3 06:15:18 CEST 2005

On 29 Sep 2005, a_mani_sc_gs at yahoo.co.in wrote:

> Hello, Which package(s) handles document versioning the best in
> LaTeX ?

Any reasonably featured versioning system will be able to handle LaTeX files. CVS, SVN, Arch, ... You can choose whichever one you are most comfortable with.

> I want all the .tex, .dvi,.pdf, .ps to be versioned, put into
> subfolders and provided with changelogs.

There doesn't seem to be much point in versioning the final output files. Binary files (such as pdfs), under CVS, will occupy a lot of space as each subsequent revision will be pretty much a duplicate. The LaTeX source file along with the Makefile to create all the derived products should suffice.

yrs,
Alok

---
In the next world, you're on your own.