[Tugindia] help required for using "skt" package in LaTeX

Duvvuri Venu Gopal venugopal_duvvuri at rediffmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:21:52 CET 2005

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 Somnath Sikdar wrote :
>Hi,
>
>Try compiling using latex and then use dvips to convert to a .ps file and check if the fonts are okay. If yes, try dvipdf to convert the .dvi file to a .pdf file. That should work. If the ps file doesn't show the required fonts, then propbably you haven't installed the package properly.
>
>Somnath.
>

>On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Amuthan Arunkumar wrote:
>
>>Dear Members,
>>
>>I recently downloaded and installed Charles Wikner's 'skt' package for
>>typesetting sanskrit text in devanagari. I somehow managed to install it. I
>>have a peculiar problem. To state it as clearly as possible, let me give a
>>sample input i gave
>>
>>\documentclass{article}
>>\usepackage{skt}
>>\begin{document}
>>{\skt raama}
>>\end{document}
>>
>>There were no problems during compilation (I used pdflatex for creating the
>>.pdf file). But the .pdf file showed the sanskrit equivalent of 'graama - g'
>>(this is the closest possible way I can represent the output). More
>>explicitly, I'm having problems getting the required output when I enter the
>>english transliteration scheme. I'm not able to generate ra, da, and many
>>other symbols though some approximate equivalent like 'r' for 'ra', 'd' or
>>'daa' for 'da', 'daha' for 'dha', 'm u' for 'mo' etc. are generated instead.
>>
>>I have no idea why this is happening. Can someone help?
>>
>>Thanking you in advance,
>>Amuthan.

Devnagari of Velthuise is a preprocessor based package. And Sanskrit of Wikner is also preprocessor based. In Devnagari first one has to type the matter using transliteration mode and save it with the extension .dn. The run the preprocessor, i.e, devnag ****.dn. Then it will create the equivalent ***.tex file. Then one has to run the LaTeX or Pdflatex on it. Have you followed all these? If you dont want the preprocessor method then you have to switch over to Omega/Lambda.

Venu Gopal