[Tugindia] Creating figure caption in Malayalam

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Tue Oct 26 06:46:42 CEST 2004

On Tue, October 26, 2004 9:14 am, Josy P. Pullockara said:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 18:08, V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
>> I am creating a document in Malayalam in which I have to include some
>> figures. When I write \begin{figure}, followed by \caption{...}, the
>> caption comes as Figure 1: followed by the text I give in Malayalam. I
>> want to redefine this so that a suitable Malayalam word comes instead of
>> Figure. How can I do that? Can I similarly change for Table also?
>
> Use
> \renewcommand{\figurename}{\malayalamfont Chithram}
> \renewcommand{\tablename}{\malayalamfont Kattam}

I think this wont work for two reasons:

1. What is this \malayalamfont? I believe, it is a custom definition not
available in LaTeX, nor in the malayalam.sty of Alex.

2. Chithram and Kattam won't give you what you want, with different input
schemes (since there is no definitive one), it gives different output.
Even different Malayalam font will give you different output (often
bizarre), because there is no definitive glyph layout for Malayalam fonts.

For the original poster:

malayalam.sty of Alex, A. J., defines \figurename and \tablename for two
fonts namely, rachana and keli, all available at http://sarovar.org.