[Tugindia] Tex fonts

Steve Peter speter at mac.com
Wed May 26 15:46:51 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 07:35 America/New_York, Bhaskaracharya
Pratishthana wrote:

> I want to know details of LaTeX/TeX fonts.

Take a look at the various beginner's manuals, as most of them discuss
fonts at some point. Have a look at
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/ for various manuals.

> Like, does TeX uses system fonts?

Not directly. Installing PostScript fonts for use by TeX is covered in
detail in
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/
fontinstallationguide.pdf.

> Then can we use fonts used by LaTeX, like
> local languages (Devnag, Gurumukhi) for other applications on the same
> pc,
> where TeX is already install.

For those (due to the complexities of the scripts), you'll want to use
a package. For example, for Devnag, see
http://sarovar.org/projects/devanagari/.

Steve