[Tugindia] windvi / itrans problem

amitava maity amaity at vsnl.net
Wed Oct 15 23:00:52 CEST 2003

S. venkataraman wrote:

> Hello Everybody!
>
> I have been running TexLive-7 off the CDROM on my Win98 box for quite
> some time. I downloaded 'itrans53' recently for including Hindi text in
> my English documents. It is in c:/itrans53. I tried it out on a sample
> document as follows:
>
> c:/itrans53/bin/itrans.exe -v -i c:/am/example.itx -o example.tex latex
> c:/am/example.tex
>
> but windvi c:/am/example.dvi  exits without giving any output.
>
> It seems like some additional configuration of windvi/itrans is
> necessary. Will someone please help me out?
>
> Sincerely yours,
> amaity.
> Hi!
> I am using itrans but I have never run tex off a CD.  While I use MIKTEX
> on the
> Windows platform, you seem to be using web2c implementation for windows.
> The problem could be that the directory containing font files,.tfm,.pk
> may not be in the search path.
> You probably need to add a localtexmf tree in the hard disk and
> create directories for the the font files like .fd, .tfm, .pk, .pfb etc.
> I am curious to know where have  you installed the
> .sty and .fd files that come with itrans? Without these you could not
> have run
> Latex.
> Regards,
> Venkataraman.

This is what I have done so far.

I have built a Tex directory in my c: drive as follows
e:/setupw32/mkloctex.bat c e

Copied the *.sty & *.tex files from c:/itrans53 to
c:/Tex/texmf/tex/latex/itrans
Copied the remaining contents of c:/itrans53 to
c:/Tex/texmf/itrans

Appended the following to c:/Tex/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps

% ITRANS
p +c:/itrans/lib/psfonts.map
p +c:/itrans/lib/dvng.map
H .;c:/itrans53/lib;c:/itrans/lib/fonts

Ran mktexlsr by clicking Maintenance-> TexLiveMaintenance in the
TexLive menu.

I have a queer feeling that this isn't enough but don't know what else
must be done. Help!

Sincerely - amaity.