[Tugindia] Ligure problem in Font

LinuxLingam linuxlingam at bhairon.com
Tue Apr 8 01:21:29 CEST 2003

> I do agree with you, all the font names are embedded within the font. So,
> we need to have some font handling software likes FONTLAB etc. are needed
> to change their font name internally.
>
> If any one can help me regarding this, please let me advice (i am an
> Windows user).

ragu, do remember fontlab is a non-free and commercial package. if you can
afford it, use it. else, if you use windows, and want a free and
freedom-based solution (gnu.org) then you could use pfaEdit, under windows.
how?
first, install cygwin. this gives you a unix environment under win doze. then
install pfaEdit under it, and you're done.

alternatively, there are some free (but not freedom-based) tools on the
microsoft website under the typography section, i have seen them projected on
a screen during a workshop, and know they can make these changes, but am not
too sure if they allow you such tinkering without some conditions. one such
tool is called VOLT available from the ms website. look for more.

but, place your bets on pfaEdit, does everything that fontlab does, and more,
and is free, and guarantees freedom.

this is also a good time to have a dual-boot win doze + gnulinux machine.
great for TeX work, makes your migration easier when "push comes to shove".

:-)
LL