[Tugindia] [Duvvuri Venu Gopal] Some ideas for Indian TeX

Dr. Dinesh Karia tugindia@tug.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:33:21 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: "Radhakrishnan CV" <cvr@river-valley.org>
To: <tugindia@tug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Tugindia] [Duvvuri Venu Gopal] Some ideas for Indian TeX

>     Dinesh> ......But once somebody like CVR takes the
>     Dinesh> lead, the team, I am sure, would be formed.

CVR > Thank you very much for your confidence in me. However, there are a
few
> things against:

CVR> 1. I am old and have serious health problems which means newer blood
CVR>    should step into the scene.

Well, the new blood is coming up but it is only the experienced ones that
lead in the CORRECT DIRECTION. So, let there be freshness and enthusiasm of
the new blood and the experience, guidence and (if other does not mind the
Indian culture still living in our blood) the blessings of old youth.

CVR>    TUGIndia haven't so far suffered any petty politics that we find in
CVR>    similar user groups, therefore, we can go ahead with our projects
CVR>    congenially and will be extremely productive.

    Thank god! the poster just above my computer screen says "No politics
please". I am always reminded by that.

CVR> 2. I lead a company, but I do contemplate to retire from the lead role
CVR>    soon owing to the reasons told above which is equally applicable to
CVR>    my company.

Let us pray (selfishly!) for your better health and for the benefit of the
scientific community by means of creating the first hand refined IndicTeX.

CVR> I would request Rai, Dinesh, Sridhar, Amitabh, Venkataraman, Rajkumar,
CVR> Venugopal, Yogananda, Ajit, et al (these are the names that popped up
CVR> immediately, there are many more) should come forward, form a
CVR> development council inside TUGIndia, enlist projects, request
CVR> volunteers and co-ordinate the projects. I am sure, if we start now,
CVR> next year on this day, we can boast the world that we have done some
CVR> work!  Any thoughts?

Let us hope. You just outline various projects and let us begin before the
new year (Indian Deepawali) begins. The very first thing I am doing is a
brief introduction of mine.

I am Dinesh Karia, Reader in Mathematics at Dept. of Math. Sardar Patel
University. I am still learning my basic specialization  Topological
Algebras (Falling within Functional Analysis which in turn is a major branch
of frontier of mathematics). I do not have any formal degree in Computer.
Presently, I have to teach C and C++, Mathematica and other
(non)Mathematical Software to M.Sc. and M.Phil. Students. In past I have
taught Pascal. Besides this I am handling the the NBHM Western Region
Library of my Department. I also help in the maintenence of Computer
Laboratory of our department containing more than 15 Pentiums and 4
printers. I know a little bit here and there in VC++, VB, LaTeX, Assembly,
and writing TSR's. I also moderate some groups on Yahoo (on topological
algebras, UGC NET Mathematics, Topology and a few non academic).

Dinesh Karia