[tug-consult] Toward a TeX Live book publishing scheme and website

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Jun 6 17:31:56 CEST 2022

It might be of some interest to this group that *Scientific Word* is now
free and open-sourced. The URL for those who want to download it is
https://github.com//scientificword/sciword. The source code is at
https://github.com//scientificword/mozilla. The version of *Scientific
Word* on github is 6.1.2.

There are bugs, but it is generally usable. If the project attracts
enough interest and manpower, we should be able to fix the bugs. Much of
the program is data-driven, so adding support for new packages and new
macros is feasible for those familiar with LaTeX. The conversion of
LaTeX to XHTML is specified by TeX macros; the conversion of XHTML to
LaTeX is done with XSLT that generates TeX. The tags for environments,
lists, paragraphs, and text appearance are given in an XML document, and
so can be extended without rewriting code.

This is the only program from MacKichan Software which has been made
open source since *Scientific WorkPlace* and *Scientific Notebook* use
code that was licensed from MathWorks and is not ours to give away.

The manuals for all the products are available at
https://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/v60/1002updatesv6.htm (the
installation programs on that page are for customers who have purchased
one of our products, and the installation requires a serial number; use
the link in the first paragraph above for the version without any copy
protection). All of the manuals were prepared with *Scientific Word*.

— Barry MacKichan