[tug-consult] Toward a TeX Live book publishing scheme and website

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd at writersglen.com
Sun Jun 5 04:11:27 CEST 2022

P.S. I assume that most self-publishers will be designing their books. So tutorials on book design definitely deserve inclusion in the book scheme website.

I also agree that we need to convey typographic concepts. The key is cut-to-the-chase, constructive, engaging, and fun tutorials and documentation.

My take on what we’re trying to accomplish is twofold:

1. Assume something over 1 million books are self-published per year in the U.S. alone. These authors invest many hours and high hopes into their books. But stats tell us that sales of the vast majority of these books is dismal to bleak.

We can’t help these authors publish better content. But we can inspire and help them publish trade quality books and, in doing so, encourage them to up their quality game.

2. Recruiting writing talent into the TeX community may advance the technology in interesting and constructive ways.

Best wishes,

LRP

Sent from my iPad