[tlu] TLU critical update still faliing

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Nov 18 23:25:30 CET 2023

> On 18 Nov 2023, at 22:39, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
> I noticed those hard links too. It is puzzling. I'll see if I can
> discern why they are being created. The script
> (tlpkg/bin/tl-makeself-from-tlnet) hasn't materially changed for ages,
> but apparently makeself itself is doing something differently :(. -k

There's an issue about the addition of hard links

https://github.com/megastep/makeself/issues/214

This was caused by a commit from November 2019

https://github.com/megastep/makeself/commit/e242ff1de6d9dc1dde2143745add49df95ff95ee

and fixed by a commit from October 2020

https://github.com/megastep/makeself/pull/223/commits/96ddb26213c812f76304cb761793158c7c63b793

The version of makeself used for creating the current update-tlmgr-latest.sh is 2.4.2

# '$Id: makeself-header.sh 46578 2018-02-09 22:16:10Z karl $'
# This script was generated using Makeself 2.4.2 (-umask for TeX Live)

This dates back to April 2020 according to

https://github.com/megastep/makeself/releases

hence just between the faulty commit and its fix.

I don't know whether that explains the observed behaviour.

Bruno