[tlu] new beta

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Feb 8 14:56:59 CET 2022

> On 8 Feb 2022, at 14:35, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> I don't use a scheduled check but the manual check is now correct. Before a dialog box flashed before the final dialog box came up and now I jsut get that final box saying the latest update is 1.52 and I have 1.53b12.

Hi Herb,

I think there are two types of updates here: the updates of the TLU app using the Sparkle frameworks, and the updates of the TeX Live installation using the app.

The updates you're referring to above, I think, are those for the app, which are accessed in two ways: manually, selecting Check for Updates in the TeX Live Utility menu; and, maybe the first time this check is made (I don't remember exactly), by checking a box so that the check takes place automatically in the future.

The updates Adam has been working on are the TeX Live updates, I think. The availability of these updates is checked first when TLU is launched, and then after you select a different repository in Configure > Manage Repositories, or type directly a URL in the URL field of the toolbar. You may have to select Actions > Refresh Package List for the new check to take place.

Or this second type of update is performed automatically at a frequency selected in Configure > Schedule TeX Live Update Checks.

> You can tell we're getting close to the freeze from the large number of updates.

Here you're speaking about the TeX Live updates. Indeed, there are quite many of them these days. I don't remember exactly when the freeze is supposed to take place <https://tug.org/texlive/>: February 15, when the final builds of the TeX Live 2022 binaries are made, or February 25, when pretest starts.

Anyway, Karl (Berry) mentioned things could start a little earlier:

https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2022-February/047713.html

Bruno