[tlu] Unable to find a valid update server.

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sun May 16 17:17:16 CEST 2021

This is a reply to Bruno's message. As usual, Bruno hits all the bases precisely.

There is, however, a big caveat. This data is correct on Mojave and above, that is, on machines running universal-darwin. The wget I supply does not support earlier systems. A few weeks ago,  I compiled wget with ssl support, but that was also only for Mojave and above. I suspect the ssl library would not compile on much earlier systems. It was decided not to switch to that version because universal-darwin uses curl.

The problems reported here are on darwinlegacy machines, which support much earlier versions of OS X. I suspect that compiling in ssl support would be much harder on these machines, but luckily that is not on my plate.

Dick Koch