[tlu] A user-intended tlmgr message ending up in the logs

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Mar 30 08:34:02 CEST 2021

> On Mar 29, 2021, at 23:08 , Bruno Voisin via tlu <tlu at tug.org> wrote:
>
> This does not mean I think this specific issue (ie tlpretest availability) needs to be taken care of. This is a fairly marginal one, which will only be relevant a few days per year. I was just wondering what was the interaction between the user-intended tlmgr messages and TLU, are they passed over automatically or do they mean Adam has programmed each and every one that appears in TLU manually?

The latter. I don't pass tlmgr error messages on to the user, since they're frequently cryptic or some subprocess (e.g., wget or updmap) that failed, and I can't reasonably parse all tlmgr output or rely on it to stay the same. It also can't be localized, so I use all of my own alerts and just handle common cases.

Errors happen pretty rarely, so it's not a big deal. Karl and I talked about the possibility of formalizing tlmgr exit codes at TUG several years ago so I could pass on error messages more reliably, but I never pursued it. I worry about it once a year at upgrade time, and then go back to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

--
Adam