[tldoc] tl2020 manual translations

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 9 16:47:05 CET 2020

Le 05/03/20 à 16h54, Denis Bitouzé a écrit :

> Le 02/03/20 à 16h53, Karl Berry a écrit :
>
>> Let me know if any questions or problems.
>
> On a French mailing list dedicated to TeX, we discussed the pros and the
> cons of the two ways of configuring TL on Unix, regarding the binaries:
>
> 1. binaries directory added to the search path,
> 2. by creating symlinks.
>
> I know The TeX Live Guide doesn't recommend the latter but I've never
> been convinced by the arguments against it, both by some of the guys
> here (see the thread
> https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-May/033581.html) and by French
> guys, both of them arguing with the same arguments but none of them
> rebutting my rebuttals.
>
> Hence, unless some new convinced arguments make me change my mind, could
> I take the liberty to add a note of the translator in the French version
> of the guide that explains my point of view on this matter?

Here is the note I'll add in the French translation:

  ┌────
  │ % Original text
  │ \item[create symlinks in standard directories:]
  │   [...]
  │   The safest and recommended approach is to leave the option unchecked.
  │ %
  │   % Added text
  │   \begin{description}
  │   \item[Translator's note.] On the contrary, the translator (Denis Bitouzé)
  │     recommends this option: it greatly simplifies the installation since it does
  │     not require the post-install actions described section~\ref{sec:env}. This
  │     method requires precautions only in following cases.
  │     \begin{description}
  │     \item[Multiple Installations:] For example, suppose you keep the \TL{} 2019
  │       along side the \TL{} 2020 in case a document that used to compile with the
  │       1st doesn't compile anymore with the 2nd. To switch from 2020 to 2019, it
  │       will be enough to run\footnote{Assuming these \TL{} were installed in the
  │         \dirname{/usr/local/texlive/} folder, subfolders \dirname{2019} and
  │         \dirname{2020}.}:
  │ \begin{alltt}
  │ > /usr/local/texlive/2019/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr path add
  │ \end{alltt}
  │       and then, to switch back to \TL{} 2020:
  │ \begin{alltt}
  │ > /usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr path add
  │ \end{alltt}
  │     \item[Dead symbolic links:] In case of installation of multiple \TL{}, it is
  │       possible that some dead symbolic links clutter the binaries folder
  │       (typically \dirname{/usr/local/bin}). To delete them, simply run:
  │ \begin{alltt}
  │ > find /usr/local/bin -xtype l -delete
  │ \end{alltt}
  │     \end{description}
  │   \end{description}
  │   % End of the added text
  │
  │   % Original text follows
  │ \item[after install, set CTAN as source for package updates:]
  │   [...]
  └────

> (with a link to the discussions in order people can make their own
> opinion)?

Unfortunately, the archives of the discussion in French are not available.

All the best.
--
Denis