[tldoc] tl2020 manual translations

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 5 16:54:24 CET 2020

Le 02/03/20 à 16h53, Karl Berry a écrit :

> Let me know if any questions or problems.

On a French mailing list dedicated to TeX, we discussed the pros and the
cons of the two ways of configuring TL on Unix, regarding the binaries:

1. binaries directory added to the search path,
2. by creating symlinks.

I know The TeX Live Guide doesn't recommend the latter but I've never
been convinced by the arguments against it, both by some of the guys
here (see the thread
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-May/033581.html) and by French
guys, both of them arguing with the same arguments but none of them
rebutting my rebuttals.

Hence, unless some new convinced arguments make me change my mind, could
I take the liberty to add a note of the translator in the French version
of the guide that explains my point of view on this matter (with a link
to the discussions in order people can make their own opinion)?

All the best.
--
Denis