[tldistro] Context - does anyone use it on non windows/mac ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 30 17:51:43 CEST 2023

I came up with a workaround to get context mkiv running on
from-source TL2023 in Beyond Linuxfromscratch.  At that time there
was reluctance to add yet another low-interest package, and I
thought I might create a hint for anybody who wanted to use
luametatex.

Since then I've been reworking my own test scripts.  As part of that
I spent some time trying to produce a test file for context using
OTF fonts instead of the Type1 from my old example.  The attached
tex file on mkiv produces a single page.  Last night I dropped a
binary TL on a system and tested this - it spilled over onto a
second page.  Makes me think that *using* context is still a moving
target ?

Trying to work out what is happening seems impenetrable, rather like
using a package on MS windows. (e.g. I used strace on a system where
I had removed a TL font since the sysem alrady had it in
/usr/share/fonts, and temporarily hid the system version but the
engine apparently still rendered it without ever finding it.)

So I'm now considering removing context from BLFS TL-from-source
whenever that next gets updated.  Before I do that I'd like to find
out if anyone knows of context users on a linux (or BSD) system ?

ĸen
--
    That just goes to show that you never know, although what
    it is we never know I suspect we'll never know. -- Snuff