[tldistro] texlive2021 pretest images & rfp

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Mar 4 16:31:08 CET 2021

Hi,

First of all I'm happy to see this new release; excellent work.

I tried on "OpenIndiana" a new install of 2021 and a upgrade.

The fresh install works OK provided I download the install-tl-unx.tar.gz
from http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tlpretest

With an older installer
./install-tl --version
install-tl (TeX Live Cross Platform Installer) revision 57337
TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2020

I'm unable to install (you get an error about incompatible version).

With a new installer (downloaded from http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tlpretest) it works fine.

I tried:

./install-tl --version
install-tl (TeX Live Cross Platform Installer) revision 58097
TeX Live (https://tug.org/texlive) version 2021

and with that version for me

./install-tl --repository http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tlpretest --profile $HOME/latex2021.profile

works fine.  I end up with

tex --version
TeX 3.141592653 (TeX Live 2021)
kpathsea version 6.3.3
Copyright 2021 D.E. Knuth.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software ...

which for my simple needs is excellent, it seems to work fine.

I also tried to upgrade an older 2020 TexLive on OpenIndiana but that does not work for me.

Perhaps because I'm not doing it correctly.

I downloaded the latest update-tlmgr-latest.sh  from http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tlpretest
and tried to follow the steps to update a TeXLive 2020 to TeXLive 2021.

I copied /usr/gnu/bin/cp -a 2020 2021, set the PATH to 2021/bin and try running update-tlmgr-latest.sh,
but that gives an error that it refuses to upgrade because it thinks 2021 is already installed.

I can send the details in private email if you like.

Anyway as far as I can see on OpenIndiana a fresh install of texlive2021 pretest works OK.

Thanks,
David Stes