[tldistro] Texdoc installation

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Nov 15 15:29:05 CET 2018

Hi Ken,

> As someone who builds texlive from source, mostly linked to system

I am in the very same situation as you, since I'm doing the Debian
packages which are of course build from source.

> libs, I've never found a way to get a working tlpdb (probably I'm too

That has *NOTHING* to do with building the binaries from source.

How do you get all the files from in texmf-dist? You copy them at some
point. And at the same time you *HAVE*TO* use the tlpdb in
	tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
which corresponds to the files in texmf-dist.

Since the tlpdb is only rebuild once a day in svn, I use the tlnet
distribution from CTAN to build the debian packages. There the tlpdb is
provided, *exactly* agrees with what files are installed.

> stupid) but until now texdoc has worked fine and I don't *want* to
> download updated binaries.

Again, this has *nothing* to do with binaries, but with texdoc which is
a script that updated not in the yearly binary update rythm, but with
every update on CTAN.

If you need help in your packaging, let me know. But I assure you that
it is possible. I did it.

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer