[tldistro] Texdoc installation

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 15 00:58:42 CET 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 02:18:48AM +0900, Takuto ASAKURA wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> this is Takuto Asakura, a maintainer of Texdoc. I'd like to announce a
> little change in the new version of Texdoc, which we released last June.
>
> In short, from Texdoc v3.0, we won't in­clude Data.tlpdb.lua (the pseudo
> cache file) in our repos­i­tory. If your dis­tri­bu­tion do not ship the tlpdb,
> you need to pre-gen­er­ate the pseudo cache file to make Tex­doc work­able.
>
> Detailed procedure:
>
> 1. Run texdoc command with an argument (e.g., `texdoc -lM texlive-en`)
>    under a TeX Live setup *with tlpdb* to generate a flesh cache file.
> 2. Copy the cache file (expected to be $TEXMFVAR/texdoc/cache-tlpdb.lua)
>    to the same directory with the Texdoc's scripts as Data.tlpdb.lua.
>    Please be aware of the file name.
>
> I'm sorry for your inconvenience but thank you for your cooperation.
>
> Best regards,
> Takuto

As someone who builds texlive from source, mostly linked to system
libs, I've never found a way to get a working tlpdb (probably I'm too
stupid) but until now texdoc has worked fine and I don't *want* to
download updated binaries.

So, assuming that this will apply to TL2019, colour me disappointed.

ĸen
--
If a man stands before a mirror and sees in it his reflection, what
he sees is not a true reproduction, but a picture of himself when he