[tldistro] texmf-dist and $(prefix)/texmf hardcodes in texlive-20080816-source

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 29 00:21:08 CEST 2008

Hello Bernhard,

    We follow the FHS filesystem layout, and want the texmf directory to
    be /usr/share/texmf with local additions going to
    /usr/local/share/texmf --

I suggest having /usr/share/texmf/texmf and /usr/share/texmf/texmf-dist.
If you try to eliminate texmf-dist, seems to me you will be in for some
major headaches and configuration file hacking, which you'll have to
redo with every release.

Or maybe I'm wrong.  I don't know what other distros do, but I'm sure
they can inform :).

    /usr/texmf-dist/scripts/

As I explain on tug.org/texlive/build.html, the result of make install
in the Build tree is not actually useful for anything.  You shouldn't
rely on it to give you anything but the binaries.  The real tree you
need is Master/texmf + Master/texmf-dist.  (And you probably want at
least some of the stuff in Master/texmf-doc too.)

Therefore you probably want to make install into a staging directory and
then copy the binaries and the texmf* dirs into your final locations.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to accept a patch that will make it easier for
you to override those hard-coded texmf-dist's, if that will help you.

Best,
Karl