[tldistro] texmf-dist and $(prefix)/texmf hardcodes in texlive-20080816-source

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Sep 29 00:44:06 CEST 2008

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Karl Berry wrote:
> I suggest having /usr/share/texmf/texmf and /usr/share/texmf/texmf-dist.
> If you try to eliminate texmf-dist, seems to me you will be in for some
> major headaches and configuration file hacking, which you'll have to
> redo with every release.
>
> Or maybe I'm wrong.  I don't know what other distros do, but I'm sure
> they can inform :).

Debian (and Ubuntu) merges texmf and texmf-dist into one directory,
since all of them are somehow "dist" in Debian.

We put them into /usr/share/texmf-texlive and have TEXMFDIST point to
that.

Other Debian packages not from texlive packaging put their files into
/usr/share/texmf, and local additions into /usr/local/share/texmf

> Therefore you probably want to make install into a staging directory and
> then copy the binaries and the texmf* dirs into your final locations.

THat is what we are doing, build everything in an arbitrary place and
then copy all the files from the distribution to the right place.

Best wishes

Norbert