[tldistro] tarballs for TeX Live

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 24 15:10:30 CEST 2008

Hi Karl,

> I put up a first shot at the tarballs for TeX Live at
> ftp://tug.org/texlive/Images/test/ aka
> rsync://tug.org/texlive-Images/test/texlivetest-DATE-TYPE.tar.lzma.
>
> Based on our earlier mail, there are four:
> - texmf (the texmf trees)
> - source (the TL-specific sources)
> - bin (the binaries distributed with TL), and
> - extra (top-level README's, miscellanous other files)

Great! Thanks.

> I imagine you guys will only care about source and texmf.

Actually I think I'll only use source and the other separated packages
that are on CTAN for texmf, esp. the collection-* ones to have a more
fine-grained TeX installation, like I did for 2007.

>  These are
> not mirrored to CTAN, so you'll have to get them from tug.

I'm not sure if there was a clear outcome, but I remember you preferred
to not point distros packages to tug.org; is that still valid ? That
doesn't change much for me to only put it on our mirrors or to point it
to tug, that just makes it clear where the package comes from. Pointing
to tug will make the mirrors fetch from it and users download from our
mirrors, unless they really want to fetch from the original location.

Regards,

Alexis.