[tldistro] tarballs for TeX Live

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 25 02:17:48 CEST 2008

Hi Alexis,

    I remember you preferred to not point distros packages to tug.org;
    is that still valid ?

Most definitely.

    Pointing to tug will make the mirrors fetch from it

I expect you have a lot of mirrors (as do all the distros).  If every
mirror of every distro (or, probably, *any* distro) gets files from
tug.org, I foresee problems.

Can you arrange things so that you copy the files from tug.org to a
"master" machine of your own, and all your mirrors get the stuff from
that master?

    users download from our mirrors, unless they really want to fetch
    from the original location.

Yep, sounds fine.

Thanks,
karl