[tlbuild] linked scripts when script names only differ by their extensions

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Mar 23 18:54:02 CET 2024

Hi Robert,

    https://git.sr.ht/~ralessi/texlive-openbsd/tree/master/item/mksymlinks
    Explanations:
    https://sr.ht/~ralessi/texlive-openbsd/#package-installation-and-updates

1) Nothing about the content, but to mention a naming discrepancy: The
latter page uses the name "mktexobsdsymlinks", which seems better than
"mksymlinks" (which could be anything).

2) Looking at the script, it seems fragile to essentially duplicate the
(il:)logic wrt memoize-&listings-ext.sh in linked_scripts/Makefile.am.
Instead, what if I generate a separate file scripts-targets.lst that
contains both the symlink name and its target, like:

a2ping ../../texmf-dist/scripts/a2ping/a2ping.pl
..
memoize-clean.pl ../../texmf-dist/scripts/memoize/memoize-clean.pl

Then your script wouldn't need any logic, just
check/update/create/remove the symlinks according to the list.

(I don't know why I didn't do it that way in the first place; the list
of bare names seems only half-useful.  I surmise that no one else is
thinking about updates to a custom binary set, or they would have had
this exact problem. Or maybe they just didn't take the time to write
about it.)

3) Another idea: provide the binaries not just as a tarball, but as a
repo (updated via your script). Then users could update their bin/custom
dir just by doing a git pull? Is that viable? I'm not sure.

Wdyt? --thanks, karl.