[tlbuild] linked scripts when script names only differ by their extensions

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Fri Mar 22 18:06:20 CET 2024

Hi Karl,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 03:45:41PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> I don't understand why you need a separate script. Modulo the grep stuff
> we are working out, isn't this exactly what "make install" should result
> in? The bin directory as you want it?  (except for the special cases,
> asy/biber/xindy/etc.) That is the intent.

Right, but...

>     If so, could custom/ be included in the paths handled by the updates?
>
> Not possible, so far as I can imagine. The update has no way of knowing
> what is in custom/, or any other directory that's not in the
> texlive.tlpdb file.
>
> Part of having a custom binary set is having to figure out how to do the
> updates. I don't know of any general process that's been developed for
> that. Sorry. -k

So unless I'm mistaken, as a result of this, the symlinks installed in
bin/custom/ are never updated by tlmgr, especially in the case of
scripts that come with new packages.  A couple of days ago, I noticed
that after running tlmgr update --all, the recently added
../../texmf-dist/scripts/l3sys-query/l3sys-query.lua was not linked to
bin/custom/l3sys-query.  So I think a separate script is needed in my
case.

Am I right in assuming this?  Here's what I did:
https://git.sr.ht/~ralessi/texlive-openbsd/tree/master/item/mksymlinks

Explanations:
https://sr.ht/~ralessi/texlive-openbsd/#package-installation-and-updates

Thanks,