[tlbuild] dvisvgm-3.0.1

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Jan 20 05:58:48 CET 2023

Karl,

The TL binaries compile fine on Arm. I didn't bother to compile on Inrel but will if you think that might make a difference.

Let me take this oportunity to ask about libpng. When I compile TL on Arm, I must include the flag --disable-arm-neon, Just now I tried compiling without this flag, but then libpng wasn't built, and this caused an error shortly afterward. The problem is that Apple uses a 64 bit Arm processor, and libpng has assembly language to speed up the 32 bit arm processor, but doesn't (or didn't in the past) have the 64 bit version of that code.

But curiously, the latest Ghostscript also uses libpng, but doesn't require such a flag on the Mac.

So I looked at the Ghostscript and TL versions of libpng. It looks like they are the same (although I didn't make a careful check). Both code bases have a folder named Arm containing 4 files. The most promising has the name filter-neon-intrinsics.c, so I compared these two files with diff. There was one difference.

The Ghostscript version reads (only 4 or 5 lines from the top)

#if defined(_MSC_VER) && defined(_M_ARM64)

#  include <arm64_neon.h>

#else

#  include <arm_neon.h>

#endif

The corresponding TL code at the same spot reads

#if defined(_MSC_VER) && !defined(__clang__) && defined(_M_ARM64)

#  include <arm64_neon.h>

#else

#  include <arm_neon.h>

#endif

The Mac uses clang.

Do you know why these are different?

This isn't a big deal, of course, but it would be nice to chase it down.

Dick Koch
koch at uoregon.edu<mailto:koch at uoregon.edu>