[tlbuild] LuaMetaTeX for TeX Live

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Sep 18 22:15:38 CEST 2022

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 05:25:51PM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 3:25 PM Mojca Miklavec <
> mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Dick,
> >
> > I didn't actually try it out (I can), but I would imagine that simply
> > downloading CMake.app in the current build directory and running
> > ./CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake should do the job without the need to
> > install anything. Microsoft Visual Studio ships with CMake integrated into
> > the tool, while Apple would probably refuse this idea.
> >
> > If writing build recipes was easier, I would in fact much prefer to have
> > the whole TL build in CMake. At the moment Windows builds require a lot of
> > extra work and maintenance and I'm not sure how many people beyond Akira
> > know how to handle that at all.
> >
> > It shouldn't be a problem to write autofoo magic for luametatex in
> > principle, it's just extra work that probably nobody really enjoys doing.
> >
> > Both autofoo and CMake are a pain, but CMake is at least Windows friendly.
> >

> 1) It's not a problem to write a config.ac and Makefile.am for lmtx, the
> problem is who has to take care of keeping it updated. Imo,  it  depends on
> the latex team: if they decide to
> extend latex to lmtx then we should use the proper ac / am files;
> 2) we can build texlive for win64 already for a while with mingw (iirc Siep
> knows all the details)

I do NOT know all about it. I did manage to cross-compile the easy
bits with mingw64, but that did not include e.g. XeTeX.

I opted for cross-compiling, because a native compile is an order of
magnitude slower.

I did build a mingw64 toolchain based on ucrt (see e.g.
https://mingwpy.github.io/ucrt.html and
https://github.com/Zeranoe/mingw-w64-build) but I am not sure
anymore what did and did not work with this toolchain.

Since Akira provides our Windows binaries and Luigi has a working
mingw setup, I am not working on this anymore.

--
Siep Kroonenberg