[tlbuild] LuaMetaTeX for TeX Live

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 17:25:51 CEST 2022

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 3:25 PM Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Dick,
>
> I didn't actually try it out (I can), but I would imagine that simply
> downloading CMake.app in the current build directory and running
> ./CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake should do the job without the need to
> install anything. Microsoft Visual Studio ships with CMake integrated into
> the tool, while Apple would probably refuse this idea.
>
> If writing build recipes was easier, I would in fact much prefer to have
> the whole TL build in CMake. At the moment Windows builds require a lot of
> extra work and maintenance and I'm not sure how many people beyond Akira
> know how to handle that at all.
>
> It shouldn't be a problem to write autofoo magic for luametatex in
> principle, it's just extra work that probably nobody really enjoys doing.
>
> Both autofoo and CMake are a pain, but CMake is at least Windows friendly.

1) It's not a problem to write a config.ac and Makefile.am for lmtx, the
problem is who has to take care of keeping it updated. Imo,  it  depends on
the latex team: if they decide to
extend latex to lmtx then we should use the proper ac / am files;
2) we can build texlive for win64 already for a while with mingw (iirc Siep
knows all the details)  and in anycase miktex is a widely accepted
alternative;
Akira builds win32 which is quite hard/impossible  with mingw, but it runs
on 32 and 64 bit; on the other hand it is known that in some situations
luatex on win32 hits the memory barrier;
3) in any case my  experience with  mkiv and texlive says that every
context users, old and new, install from the garden because it's the latest
release that matters, even today.
This is doubly true for lmtx because in the last 4 years nobody cared if
lmtx was in texlive or not. So we can have both the source and the latest
binaries in texlive,
but users will always download from the garden because it's the only way of
having a working lmtx (and this is what I always recommend) .

just my 2 cents .
--
luigi