[tlbuild] dvi test? [dvi differences]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 1 03:11:26 CET 2022

    All this means that the actual dvi file seems to depend on which Mac
    is being used to typeset.

(Sorry if someone else has already answered this point.)

I surmise it is not the Mac that causes any difference, but the exact
version of LaTeX. Specifically, I suspect that John is typesetting with
a slightly older version of LaTeX. When I typeset Koch.tex with the 100%
up-to-date latex, I get exactly the same DVI as you do, Dick (modulo the
timestamp).

Adding \listfiles as the first line of the .tex file, rerunning latex,
comparing the .log files, would be a way to check this for sure. That
is, that different versions of the macros are being loaded.

In any case, dvitype says both DVI files are valid. -k