[tlbuild] FreeBSD builder for TeX Live 2022

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Wed Jan 26 02:29:06 CET 2022

Am Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:49:02 +0100
schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that FreeBSD 11.4 is now past its EOL.
>
> I deliberately used an older OS version in the past because some users
> started complaining about one issue (which is particularly rare on
> FreeBSD, but apparently it still happens).
>
> Should we go with 12.3 this year? (There's also 12.2, but I expect
> even less problems between minor release numbers.)

It appears to me that 12.3 is a sensible choice; 12.2 is about to reach
EOL by end of March this year [0].

If our 12.3 binaries run on 12.2 (which is a not entirely unreasonable
assumption in FreeBSD world [1]), then everything is fine; and if not,
there is little reason to not recommend upgrading to a supported OS
version (for multiple reasons, not just TL).

Best,
Johannes

[0]
https://www.freebsd.org/security/#sup