[tlbuild] dvi test on mac

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Jan 25 11:32:55 CET 2022

Hi Paul,

A response that is not really a response (I'm not subscribed to the list):

> I notice that the dvi file has some PostScript specials in it. Does the problem occur when the PS specials are removed?

No, as soon as the draftcopy package is no longer used, so that there is no diagonal grey DRAFT banner across the pages, the problem vanishes.

> If you wait for the ghostscript process to fully start up before pressing 'R' (with the original dvi file), does the problem still occur?

Do you mean by this wait, in xdvi, until the Draft banner is shown? It never is.

Further tests I did:

- The above was with Ghostscript 9.55. I switched to 9.54 and 9.50: same result.

- The above was with macOS Monterey (12) and ARM chip. I switched to an Intel Mac with Big Sur (11): same result.

- The above was with XQuartz 2.8 (from 2021). I switched back to 2.7 (from 2016): same result.

To be sure, here's the original test file (two versions, with and without draftcopy) and the corresponding dvi output. For comparison the pdf output obtained by applying dvips and ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None to the dvi files is also provided. Everything done with MacTeX-2021.

Bruno Voisin