[tlbuild] Broken bibtex tests

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 22 01:03:26 CEST 2019

        $ bibtexu -l fr -o fr -t test

I also added -d all. The failing result for amd64-freebsd is visible
here: https://build.contextgarden.net/#/builders/54/builds/10 (if you
have a new enough browser). Also gzipped and attached below.  Looks like
much of the output is being munged into invalid characters.  I don't see
anything in the output explaining, though I don't know what I'm looking
at, either.

I doubt the problem is with the ICU in TL in general, since it fails on
several different systems, and furthermore it succeeds while linking
against that same TL ICU on other systems. So it seems more like
something at the system level on BSD-based machines doesn't like those
Chinese entries.

Also, I doubt bibtexu has received any testing besides what you yourself
have done, since peb integrated Yannis's original program into TL. So
bugs in the code are certainly possible, even probable.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it. I'll leave it failing for now in
case any experiments are done quickly ... --thanks, karl.