[tlbuild] xindy again

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Mon Dec 21 02:54:56 CET 2015

Apostolos Syropoulos writes:

> This is perl, v5.8.4 built for i86pc-solaris-64int

Thanks. I think I'll demand 5.10 as minimum version, that should be
available on all relevant platforms.

> However, I think even for newer versions of Perl like
>
> $ perl -v
>
> This is perl 5, version 22, subversion 0 (v5.22.0) built for
> i86pc-solaris-thread-multi-64
>
> should be able to say on which input line xindy has found something
> offending.

I don't understand that last sentence. Why should the Perl version
have any say in that behavior? The problem is: (La)TeX produces a .idx
file. That's the one you know about and want to have feedback about.
But that file's transformed into a real xindy raw index file -- and
that transformation doesn't pass along line numbers. When xindy sees
the erroneous input, it doesn't know about the original line numbers
and thus cannot report them.

You describe a real problem; but a solution ain't as easy as counting
line numbers. :-(

	Joachim