[tlbuild] just built custom binaries doesn't contains the 'biber'

Кирилл К kskuzmin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:12:26 CEST 2015

> I wrote tersely about the situation with biber at
> http://tug.org/texlive/build.html#biber.  As stated there,
> indeed, the biber sources are not included in the TL source
> tree, and won't be.
>
> You could perhaps download the biber binary for your
> system (assuming it's one of the supported ones) either from
> sf or from TL and put into your bin/custom/ directory, if you
> don't want to build it from the original source.

Okay but there is biber source package (tar.gz), which comes with TexLive
instalation... texmf-dist/source/bibtex/biber/biblatex-biber.tar.gz
As I understand it is the copy of actually released sources from biber
team? So in my case, I can using it, but IS THERE ANYWHERE just compiled
biber, that i can simple manually install in my exotic custom-x86_64-
texlive?

About bin/custom setup: my goal is getting shared kpathsea for my evince
can show dvi... and secondary: texlive's utilities will be use my system
libs (libgs, poppler, freetype2, fontconfig, libpng, icu, graphite2,
harfbuzz, xpdf, cairo, pixman, zlib)

> I believe that using the bin/custom setup means that tlmgr
> will never install updates to any executables, i.e., to add
> new scripts or update existing ones.  Or updates to biber.
> You should get updates to the rest of the TeX tree, though.

> if you install with our install program
> and use -custom-bin, there will never be any updates to the
> files in your custom bin dir. That also means that for example
> updates to *scripts* as well as *new* scripts added there will
> *not* be reflected in your bin directory

Okay, tlmgr will not be manage my bin dir of course,.. but IS IT STILL
really COULD working with texlive packages and it's updates?
If so, i would be satisfied.

By the way, maybe I'm fully not right and is there another way to get
shared kpathsea lib???

> If it is linux from scratch, then there is no need
> to use -custom-bin, just install the binaries into
> PREFIX/texlive/2015/bin/<your-arch>/

No, it is Arch where evince (gtk document viewer) can't open dvi.

> you will not get scripts or any other updates.
> You have to do this manually.

What are complete list of other packages and parts, which have to doing
manually? =)