[tlbuild] Allow for building synctex as shared library

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Jun 26 11:11:59 CEST 2014

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014, Norbert Preining wrote:

> (please keep Ccs, thanks)

Hi Norbert,

which ones?  There were none.

> Here on the Debian side we got a bug report asking for converting
> the synctex code into a shared library. The reason is that many
> projects nowadays include the synctex code. According to Sebastian
> and Debian codesearch [1] this is at least:
> okular, evince, texworkds, texmaker, texstudio and gummi.

> Sebastian Ramacher (in Cc), the original bug reporter, has provided
> a patch to the TeX Live sources which provides this facility,
> the patch is attached. It applies with a one minimal fuzz to
> current TeX Live svn sources.

> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: syntex-lib.patch
> Type: text/x-diff
> Size: 3043 bytes
> Desc: not available

That looks straightforward enough, it just puts part of the current synctex
sources into a library, that would be built and installed as a shared
library if and only that is the case for libkpathsea and libptexenc.  I only
would use the somewhat simpler name libsynctex.  I would also add pkg-config
files for libkpathsea and libptexenc and install all of them (perhaps only
for a non-native TeX Live build).

Regards
Peter