[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Apr 27 00:45:41 CEST 2014

Bob,

    I assumed Postscript processing has been disabled in dvisvgm for all
    versions of TeXLive.

As I said: no, that is not the case.  Only the i386-linux binary is
affected.

    I just did Build --with-libgs (on Centos-6)

CentOS6 is a completely different case.  I am not going to build dvisvgm
in a different configuration than the rest of TL.

    Isn't it possible *your* Centos-5 system has acquired some library

I am using stock centos 5[.10], fully patched.  I can't see that the
system is at fault.

To repeat: the conflict is in memory management, between the statically
linked libstdc++ with g++ 4.8.2 that I use to compile, and the
dynamically-found older system libstdc++ that the dynamically-found
system libgs pulls in.  dvisvgm -Vyes crashes trying to get the version
number from libgs unless I disable it entirely.

It is beyond my control to solve this -- Martin and I tried hard to find
a way to do it in the dvisvgm sources, but there was no way.  So, if you
want PS support with dvisvgm on i386-linux, please make your own binary,
or get the distro's version, or whatever.