[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Fri Apr 25 01:15:39 CEST 2014

 >|    Karl: Penalizing *all* the platforms because there's a problem
 >|
 >|You mean all i386-linux platforms, I assume.  No other platforms are
 >|affect by my binary.

I assumed Postscript processing has been disabled in dvisvgm for all
versions of TeXLive.

 >|    in Centos-5 doesn't seem fair. I suggest you build with Build
 >|    option --with-libgs and then try dvisvgm on your system with
 >|    --libgs=<non-existent>.
 >|
 >|I already did all that, and a lot more besides.

You misunderstand. I'm not suggesting this is a solution to the
problem; but if dvisvgm really does crash on some platform because
of libgs, using that kind of option will allow dvisvgm to be used
on that platform (without Postscript) and other users don't have to
have Postscript processing disabled.

 >|Did you run dvisvgm -Vyes (aka make check), and it worked?

$ dvisvgm -Vyes
dvisvgm (TeX Live) 1.5.3 (i686-pc-Linux-gnu)
freetype:       2.5.3
Ghostscript:    8.70
kpathsea:       6.2.0
potrace:        1.11
zlib:           1.2.8

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.10 (Final)

>|Were you statically linking against the (locally built) g++ 4.8.2
>|libstdc++?

I just did Build --with-libgs (on Centos-6). I haven't analyzed
the configure scripts or logs.  On Centos-6, I have

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.13

>|yes, it really does crash

Isn't it possible *your* Centos-5 system has acquired some library
issue? You said:

 >|the resulting binary crashes for me on tug.org (and *presumably*
 >|any CentOS 5 system),

I'll shut up about this if crashing is confirmed from another
CentOS-5 system.

Bob