[tlbuild] Installing the current snapshot

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 13 03:32:38 CEST 2009

On 13 October 2009 Angelo Graziosi wrote:

 > Marco Pallante ha scritto:
 > > Hi all,
 > >
 > > I used the UTF-8 file encoding both in the LEGGIMI (README) file
 > > and in the texlive-it.tex documentation source. If there is any
 > > problem, I could switch to Latin-1.
 > >
 > > Nevertheless, I can confirm this problem: when downloading, my
 > > browser (Firefox) assumes Latin-1 encoding and doesn't show any
 > > of the accented characters.  However, manually switching to the
 > > UTF-8 encoding, everything goes right.
 >
 > Just for the sake of completeness...
 >
 > Emacs says that in the ISO image[1], the file
 > '/cdrom/readme-txt.dir/README.IT' is encoded as 'iso-latin-1-unix'.

Do you have a recent version of Emacs?  Emacs 23.1 assumes that the
file encoding is Unicode.  The file contains the word "varietà".  The
letter "à" consists of two bytes, thus, it can't be ISO-8859.

Please note that Emacs 23 has *much* better Unicode support than any
previous release.

 > This seems to be confirmed by Firefox and IE8, which are configured
 > to detec automatically the encoding systems of web pages.

No.  They don't detect anything automatically.  If there is no
adequate HTML tag, they use a default encoding.

 > Indeed, [2] is detected as UTF-8 and looks right, instead [3,4] are
 > detected as Western ISO-8859-1, and look wrong.

They didn't detect ISO-8859-1.  It was an assumption.  It's almost
impossible to detect ISO-8859-1 (or any other 8-bit encoding).

What does "Western ISO-8859-1" mean?  Do they maintain different
variants of ISO-8859-1?  What is "Eastern ISO-8859-1" then?
ISO-8859-2 or ISO-2022-JP?  :)

Regarding character encodings, I fully agree with Norbert.  UTF-8
allows you to have Russian, Japanese, Devanagari, Mongolian, Chinese,
Arabic,... in one and the same file.  UTF-8 is the future.  Forget
everything else.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25