[tlbuild] Installing the current snapshot

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi at alice.it
Tue Oct 13 10:56:22 CEST 2009

Reinhard Kotucha ha scritto:
> On 13 October 2009 Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>
>  > Marco Pallante ha scritto:
>  > > Hi all,
>  > >
>  > > I used the UTF-8 file encoding both in the LEGGIMI (README) file
>  > > and in the texlive-it.tex documentation source. If there is any
>  > > problem, I could switch to Latin-1.
>  > >
>  > > Nevertheless, I can confirm this problem: when downloading, my
>  > > browser (Firefox) assumes Latin-1 encoding and doesn't show any
>  > > of the accented characters.  However, manually switching to the
>  > > UTF-8 encoding, everything goes right.
>  >
>  > Just for the sake of completeness...
>  >
>  > Emacs says that in the ISO image[1], the file
>  > '/cdrom/readme-txt.dir/README.IT' is encoded as 'iso-latin-1-unix'.
>
> Do you have a recent version of Emacs?  Emacs 23.1 assumes that the
> file encoding is Unicode.  The file contains the word "varietà".  The
> letter "à" consists of two bytes, thus, it can't be ISO-8859.

Obviously: it is a build from CVS, 2009-10-11!! :-)

> Please note that Emacs 23 has *much* better Unicode support than any
> previous release.

I know. I follow Emacs development since 22.0.50-CVS.

>  > This seems to be confirmed by Firefox and IE8, which are configured
>  > to detec automatically the encoding systems of web pages.
>
> No.  They don't detect anything automatically.  If there is no
> adequate HTML tag, they use a default encoding.

Those browsers, in my case, are configured to "Allow pages to choose
their own characters...". Indeed, a few tests show that a few web pages
are in UTF-8 and others in ...ISO-8859...

>  > Indeed, [2] is detected as UTF-8 and looks right, instead [3,4] are
>  > detected as Western ISO-8859-1, and look wrong.
>
> They didn't detect ISO-8859-1.  It was an assumption.  It's almost
> impossible to detect ISO-8859-1 (or any other 8-bit encoding).

Firefox show that!!! :-)

> What does "Western ISO-8859-1" mean?  Do they maintain different
> variants of ISO-8859-1?  What is "Eastern ISO-8859-1" then?
> ISO-8859-2 or ISO-2022-JP?  :)

"Western" is the translation of "Occidentale" (I have Firefox 3.5-it,
obviously). In my Firefox, the menu "Visualizza | Codifica dei
caratteri" (i.e. View | Characters encoding) shows many encodings, also
"Europa Centrale ISO-8859-2", "Occidentale ISO-8859-15"...

> Regarding character encodings, I fully agree with Norbert.  UTF-8
> allows you to have Russian, Japanese, Devanagari, Mongolian, Chinese,
> Arabic,... in one and the same file.  UTF-8 is the future.  Forget
> everything else.

As I have written, I haven't to choose explicitly that: it is
automatically selected if the page is in UTF. :-)

It seems we are talking about different things/systems :-)

Anyway this is not very important to the release. Who does not visualize
correctly that documentation can always change manually the encoding,
eventually by trying.

Cheers,
Angelo.