[texworks] Texworks errors

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat May 28 15:50:17 CEST 2022

On 24.05.22 23:44, Micho, Jeffrey via texworks wrote:
> In TexWorks when you go to Help > Settings and Resources > how do you
> change the Storage locations?

This can in principle be done by creating a suitable
"texworks-setup.ini" file, though I don't think this is the right way to
go in your case. If you are interested, look in the manual for
"portable" mode.

>  1. On a Windows 10 21H1 computer, I installed the most recent
>     *basic-miktex 22.3-x64.exe* version, and when I open up TexWorks I
>     noticed the default Storage locations below, pointing to
>     HKCU\Software\MiKTeX\2.9\TeXworks

This is a custom storage location set by the MiKTeX developers.

>  2. I then installed the same *basic-miktex 22.3-x64.exe *on another
>     Windows 10 running 21H1, and when I open up TexWorks I noticed the
>     default Storage locations were different, this time pointing to
>     HKCU\Software\TUG\TexWorks

This is TeXworks' default location.

> Why would the same *basic-miktex 22.3-x64.exe *install load into 2
> different registry hives?

My suspicion is that you are running two different versions of TeXworks
(or that MiKTeX's storage location override failed in the first case).

What is the output of "Help > About TeXworks..."?

> Also, after updating Miktex and opening up TexWorks, I noticed that
> the Spell check removes the dictonaries, any idea why?

Following the train of thought above, it may very well be that the
dictionaries are still present, but TeXworks doesn't find them anymore
because it is looking in a different location...

HTH