[texworks] TeXworks loading problems under Win 10

Rick Voland rvoland at tds.net
Mon Feb 21 19:57:47 CET 2022

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Löffler" <st.loeffler at gmail.com>
To: "texworks" <texworks at tug.org>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2022 9:35:35 AM
Subject: Re: [texworks] TeXworks loading problems under Win 10

Dear Rick,

On 20.02.22 00:37, Rick Voland wrote:
> I am just now unable to load TeXworks from TeXlive under Windows 10.  This is the latest version of TeXworks available through ordinary updating of TeXlive 2021 and it worked a week ago.  I tried double-clicking a simple *.tex document that worked last weekend and I also tried starting TeXworks from the MS-Windows start menu.  TeXworks opens the *.tex file and then hangs with >30% CPU usage.  I had the same trouble with the executable at
> C:\texlive\2021\bin\win32\texworks.exe
>

> I downloaded TeXworks 0.6.6 (stable) from github and saved the contents of the zip file to a folder on my desktop.  That works fine (from the desktop).
>

> I had a similar problem
> https://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2020q3/007096.html
>

> I suspect my issue now is not with TeXworks itself, but rather with the script inside TeXlive that starts up TeXworks.  The last time (2020) my issue resolved later when I uninstalled TeXlive 2020 and installed TeXlive 2021.

This could be related to https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/issues/904
which should be fixed in the latest development version (see
https://nightly.link/TeXworks/texworks/workflows/cd/master/TeXworks-Windows)

HTH,
Stefan

Thanks for the information.  TeXworks is fine again for me.

What got it to work this time was renaming
C:\Users\Rick\.texlive2021\texmf-config\texworks\TUG\TeXworks.ini
to have it recreate this file.

Thanks,

Rick Voland
rpvoland at spamcop.net