[texworks] portable version of texworks

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 15:52:53 CEST 2021

Dear Michael,

On 01.07.21 23:04, Michael Morgan wrote:
> I am planning to use TeXworks in my windows machine. I saw that
> besides the exe file there is also a zip file for downloading. Is that
> a portable version?

Yes and no. The exe is an installer, taking care of copying the files to
the "Program Files" folder, optionally creating start menu entries,
associating .tex files with TeXworks, etc.
The zip just contains the program (which still needs to be configured
for portable usage).

> Any additional settings needed for the portable version setup?

Yes, as documented in the manual - see Paul's message.

> I usually put portable version program under dropbox so the preference
> of the program can be synced. In which file the preference setting of
> TeXworks is saved?

Preferences are saved in the registry by default, but can be saved to an
arbitrary file instead (using the portable setup).
Other resources are by default stored in the user's directory, but those
two can be relocated by the portable setup.

HTH
Stefan