[texworks] TeXWorks file associations and uninstall

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:52:53 CEST 2020

Dear Georg,

On 17.08.20 16:29, georgh at posteo.de wrote:

> After installing MiKTeX all .tex and .sty files are associated with
> TeXWorks and for some reason it is not possible to simply switch to
> another editor as the default app. When I choose another editor as the
> default app the files are still associated with TeXWorks. – Why is
> this? Does TeXWorks overwrite these changes?? How can I fix this?
>
> Also, how can I uninstall TeXWorks without uninstalling MiKTeX??

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing issues related to TeXworks.
However, they all seem to be related to MiKTeX, not TeXworks itself.
Please contact the MiKTeX mailing list/forum/devs to resolve your issues.

To be more specific: TeXworks itself does not mess with any file
associations (unless the MiKTeX devs modified it in some way). Updating
file associations is the job of the installer, in your case MiKTeX.
Also, since MiKTeX installed TeXworks, you likely need to use some
MiKTeX utility to properly uninstall it again.

HTH