[texworks] &body=Thank you for taking the time to write an email to the TeXworks mailing list. Please read the instructions below carefully as following them will greatly facilitate the communication.

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Wed May 27 23:04:50 CEST 2020

Don Schouten wrote:

> I am new to LaTeX and need help getting a file to print. Working with an
> ancestry program, I have prepared family tree, however, the program only
> outputs the file in .tex format. I have downloaded TeX Live from the
> internet and am able to open my file in its TeXworks. From there it is not
> at all clear to me how I get a print out. I would greatly appreciate simple
> step by step directions.

With the file open in TeXworks, press Ctrl+T.  At the bottom of your source file a diagnostic window will appear.  If it then disappears, your TeX file has compiled successfully and you should see the rendered result in the right-hand integrated PDF viewer.  If it fails to compile, the diagnostic window will remain open and you will need to attend to the problem(s) reported.  Once all errors (if any) are corrected, you can initiate printing from the PDF preview window (File / Print PDF) — this will require a standalone PDF reader such as Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

/Philip Taylor/