[texworks] [EXT] Re: Umlaut in Latex

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 22 22:31:24 CET 2020

Stefan Löffler wrote:

Dear Willem,

On 22.03.20 17:38, Willem van Leeuwen wrote:
Everything goes well, all letters, symbols and accents work as they should, except for the command \”{o}. What results is un upper index  dot-comma followed by an o. Is there anybody with the same problem, and what went wrong here? How can I get an umlaut?

Generally, I personally prefer to just type (or copy-paste) the umlaut (ö) if possible; and use an encoding like utf-8 (the default) that supports it, of course.
Regarding your problem: did you make sure that Format > Smart Quotes is set to None. Otherwise the program will convert \" (backslash-double quote) into \'' (backslash-single quote-single quote) as it replaces " by the "correct" TeX commands for closing quotation marks, ' '.

I think that there is another issue, Stefan, in that Mr van Leeuwen is (if his e-mail is correct) using backslash followed by Unicode Character 'RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK' (U+201D), whereas he should be using backslash followed by Unicode Character 'QUOTATION MARK' (U+0022).

Philip Taylor

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.