[texworks] Umlaut in Latex

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 22:14:47 CET 2020

Dear Willem,

On 22.03.20 17:38, Willem van Leeuwen wrote:
> Everything goes well, all letters, symbols and accents work as they
> should, except for the command \”{o}. What results is un upper index
>  dot-comma followed by an o. Is there anybody with the same problem,
> and what went wrong here? How can I get an umlaut?

Generally, I personally prefer to just type (or copy-paste) the umlaut
(ö) if possible; and use an encoding like utf-8 (the default) that
supports it, of course.
Regarding your problem: did you make sure that Format > Smart Quotes is
set to None. Otherwise the program will convert \" (backslash-double
quote) into \'' (backslash-single quote-single quote) as it replaces "
by the "correct" TeX commands for closing quotation marks, ' '.

HTH