[texworks] Problem with TeXworks software

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 16:16:14 CEST 2019

On 02/10/2019 5:30 a.m., Robert.Brignall wrote:
>> I'm a customer of TeXworks. I have a problem about the launch of my TeXworks. The launch
>> of my TeXworks becomes very very slow. Even though some document are so small. It takes
>> a lot of time(5 minutes+) to launch or open a document in my software(TeXworks).
>> When I open a document, the software shows that no response(as you can see in the following
>> picture)
>
> I note that this message is from a few months ago, but a colleague of mine has recently encountered a very similar issue after our University upgraded his system to Windows 10 64-bit. With a fresh installation of MikTeX 2.9, TeXworks takes around 10 minutes to open, and then performs very very poorly. Installing TeXworks separately from MikTeX does not solve the issue either.
>
> On my own machine (upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit last week) this issue does not arise and TeXworks behaves normally.
>
> Any clues what's going on?

No idea if this applies here, but that kind of thing happens when there
are network problems, e.g. if TeXworks was trying to connect to a
network share that was unavailable, and had to wait for a timeout before
it could continue.

If this is what is happening here, there is probably a system log
somewhere (I don't know where, I'm not a Windows user) that would show
the timeouts, and name the resource that TeXworks was attempting to
retrieve.

Duncan Murdoch