[texworks] problem with cls and sty files

Dennis Weygand dpweygand at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 14:09:44 CEST 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write an email to the TeXworks mailing list. Please read the instructions below carefully as following them will greatly facilitate the communication.

I am trying to run Texworks on Windows 10

Everytime I download a tex file from the web, for example I am currently trying to download a resume template, I usually get a window to allow MikTex to update my hard drive: I agree.

Then I get a message that TexWorks cannot find a file.

For example:

% LaTeX file for resume
% This file uses the resume document class (res.cls)

\documentclass{res}
%\usepackage{helvetica} % uses helvetica postscript font (download helvetica.sty)
%\usepackage{newcent} % uses new century schoolbook postscript font
\setlength{\textheight}{9.5in} % increase text height to fit on 1-page

\begin{document}
…

The result being:

! LaTeX Error: File `res.cls' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

Enter file name:
…

What is wrong?

D.P. Weyga d

----- configuration info -----
TeXworks version : 0.6.3r.a2470ca (travis-ci)
Install location : C:/Program Files (x86)/TeXworks/TeXworks.exe
Library path     : C:/Users/dennisweygand/TeXworks\
pdfTeX location  : C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.9/miktex/bin/x64/pdftex.exe
Operating system : Windows 10, 64-bit
Qt version       : 5.12.1 (build) / 5.12.1 (runtime)